Thursday, August 09, 2007

Things about Vienna




1. There are lots of really old and big buildings, mainly churches. The one above is Karlskirche.
2. The rest of the buildings in Vienna are mainly 4 storey low rise blocks, mainly white or off-white.
3. Trains come every 4-5 minutes. They go so fast, that you are not sure if they are stopping at your station until the last minute.
4. Not only is the train itself fast, but the speed at which the doors close means a virtual amputation for would-be commuters attempting to enter the train when the doors are closing.
5. Pretty much everyone speaks German and English. I know I should make an effort with speaking some German, but I would rather be an annoying English-speaking tourist instead of an embarrassing trying-to-speak-German tourist.
6. I saw the plaque at the top of this post. This one's for you, Dave Symonds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh, I think it was just yesterday that I had a fleeting thought about naming a cat Shrodinger. :P

Perhaps you should learn to say "Hello, do you mind if we speak English?" In German... likely they're not as snobby about French people in that regard. BTW, I've heard people in Paris don't like to speak English, but they're happier if you make an effort "Bonjour. Ca va? Parlez vous anglais?" That might be old information though, perhaps they're over their dislike.
You're going to Paris aren't you?

Tim said...

Okay, I concede I should reply properly. Yeah, we are going to Paris in a couple of weeks.